Character 气 shows simplified instead of traditional

Character 气 shows simplified instead of traditional in 250 Essential Chinese Characters Vol. 1.
App version 2.1.2, os Android

I’ve checked the mapping-- it looks like there are two version in traditional (one looking like simp) however both entries exist in the list. Is this happening when studying, or looking at the contents of the list?

Hi Jeremy, I am pretty sure that traditional form of 气 is 氣 with no other versions. But I never got 氣 while studying. I didn’t check the content of the list, cannot comment. In another list I m studying, Contemporary Chinese Level I, I guess, there is 不客气 which correctly translates into 不客氣。 This problem is also reproduced with 只 which never shows 衹 but shows 只 with TRAD mark instead. As of 只 - it may be used as traditional but then it becomes confusing: why do you mark it TRAD if there is no difference between simplified and traditional? If there are several traditional characters for a single simplified, how can we check them all?

I’ve asked the team about this:

Radical 84 in the KangXi Dictionary. Not really used as an actual character these days, but it certainly has shown up in classical texts. These days nearly all words containing this character use the full-form 氣

That explains why there’s a traditional version of 气 in the system! 只 can be used in traditional as well which is why there’s a mapping for that, too. When you add a word to a list, you can toggle the “all results” button to cycle through the different entries.

ok I got it. Thank you, Jeremy!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.