Skritter 2.3.5 hangs during study

everytime i try to study, i go through the same sequence of words (no randomization?) and eventually (after about 10 items) the app will not go to the next item - the circle spinner keeps spinning endlessly - the app is not hung as i can see word info for the current word and go to the menus - but i cannot complete study and am forced to use the webapp - incredibly disappointing since I only just started subscribing

If you force add some new words (using the manual (+) button at the top of the study page), does it seem to sort this out?

it does let the words move on - but after the new word, it seems to reset the study to the beginning - eventually it will get stuck again and i can add another word - but I’m not ever to newer words and the study seems stuck in the same pattern every time

I recommend deleting the app and installing a fresh copy to see if it clears up. If that doesn’t fix the problem, would you be opposed to using the non-beta app in the meantime?

that appears to have solved the problem - thank you - i am able to study for long periods now

i have noticed that after leaving the app running in the background for a while, it will often be very slow when i return (as in the responsiveness of the UI is sluggish) - discarding the app and reopening fixes the problem - maybe there’s a memory leak in there?

i started running into this again and discovered more info - one symptom is that new words are only introduced briefly before the review words come up most of the time - another is that the study order is the same every time (ex: if it hangs and i stop the app and restart study, the order is the same as is the hanging point)

i did try uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem remained - i also tried deleting all app data and the problem remained - clearing the cache seems to help a little as does returning to the dashboard mid-study before the hang happens

it seems like there’s definitely something unstable within the beta app/server

1 Like

I’m passing a note to the developers to see if they can spot what might be going on with the loops you’ve been running into.

this appears to be a state problem in the Android app data store [bug #1] - the only thing that reliably fixed it was going into the app Storage settings (in Android, not in the app) and tapping Clear Data

uninstalling does not appear to remove that data [bug #2] - after reinstalling, the newly installed app started with me logged in and with all my app settings - that really shouldn’t happen - an uninstall should remove the data (or the data should be able to be backed up in a way that’s separate from the app uninstall process)

after using Clear Data, i had to log back in and redo my app settings but the app seemed to be back to testing new words more than review words and hasn’t been prone to getting stuck yet

so the question is…what causes the bad state that gets things stuck in a loop?

it’d be nice if app settings were backed up to your account so that after a reinstall, the settings were the same as before uninstalling [bug/improvement #3]

I get hanging issues too, any time I exit the study session to go to the dashboard. Occasionally I have to do that to reset the counter because it gets stuck. When I switch back from the dashboard to study, the entire app is slowed down so bad that I generally have to shut it down and restart, and occasionally it takes an extra restart because of sync problems the first time.

@kokaku Will look into bugs #1/2, my guess is because we do use some browser tech in the app, including saving some local data, that’s persisted in the browser. Not sure if there are any pre-uninstall hooks, but it’s something we’ll look into. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.
Bug #3 is something we’re working on and for which we have tasks spawned. Right now we’re transitioning between APIs and don’t always have full server persistence yet of some of the newer options that weren’t available in the legacy application (e.g. the new goal mode). Since switching users and devices isn’t a common use case, rather than hold back a feature, we’ve opted for releasing, getting feedback, and iterating, adding server/database support as we go since the feature could change in the interim.

@hz we’re aware of the hanging bug and looking into it, expect some improvements in the next release

I don’t know if this is related but I stopped turning on the Offline setting and it seems to not happen anymore. There will be times when the activity indicator spins for a while but then continues with testing (maybe fetching new data during that time?). Maybe there’s something with offline mode and that data fetching step that gets stuck?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.