Hi, I have tried out the current Android Beta again and there still seems to be alot missing from the old app. Let me start with what I like though:
- new writing input recognition (seems more accurate)
- overall design
- continue to next card directly on tapping grading button
- new learn/test modes
- seeing progress on lists that i am studying
- progress info (with activity feed)
However there are a few changes / features missing from the old app that are pretty serious in my opinion:
- detailed grading buttons (wrong, unsure, good, easy)
- adding new items to review while reviewing (drawn from all current lists)
- per character mnemonics (the ones i have been writing myself, now i only see some default ones and i believe they are also per word level)
- adding new items to a list
- showing my banned words
I have posted about the grading buttons before and I believe you are bringing them back? Adding new items while reviewing is absolutely essential for me, I like having new words from multiple lists, this is not possible by doing learn mode. Also I would like the see new words appear in my review on the same day. Is it possible to just have this old way of adding new items next to the learn mode method? Then everyone can decide which way they want to use the app. About the mnemonics, what is your plan? Are you gonna add back my own definitions? This would be a major loss, I am using them rather often for the compound characters. Couldn’t you show the default one as a word-level mnemonic and the user defined ones on a character level both at the same time in the info screen? Or enable toggling them?
Furthermore there are a few things that are not optimal in my opinion:
- Deck previews are too big when browsing lists, I would like an option to just how the titles
- It is annoying to have to press long to show the next stroke, why not just leave it as it is with a short tap?
All in all I really like your ideas with the new learn and test modes and I think it is a good way of enhancing the app to appeal to more different study methods. I just feel like you are neglecting some of the features that are available in the old app which are quite essential to some people. In my opinion the features I mentioned about that are still missing should be integrated in the new app as soon as possible, new versions should not lose features that many people rely on in their daily study.
One feature that I think would be super useful is to add a skip button so you can skip (and mark as ‘good’/‘easy’) a single character in a word. I have seen this mentioned before and I think this would be a major time saver for word with 不，的，得 etc. This should also be trivial to implement, the question is only where to place such a button. What do you think about this?