Swapping character I dont want to learn: 掇 for 挽

I’m sure there’s a perfectly good reason that it makes me learn 挽 instead of 掇; but the poem I’m reading specifically uses 掇, so it’s really challenging that I can’t make it teach me the latter.

Cheers

I think it’s something to do with how the trad-simp relationship is mapped. In Skritter’s vocab 挽 is mapped as the simplified form of 掇, which could be a mistake as it’s not listed as such in MDBG - can someone confirm? I don’t want to change it immediately as I’m not an expert and it seems a bit unclear…

掇[duō] is unrelated to 挽[wǎn] . The simplified form of 掇 is still 掇.

By the way, both 挽 and 輓 are traditional characters. Some of their meanings overlap with one another and thus can be considered as variants. In the simplified character set, 輓 has been eliminated and replaced by 挽.

1 Like

Perfect thanks @pts :smile:
Turns out I don’t have authority to fix the problem though so need to call upon @SkritterJake

This does indeed seem to be a problem with our simplified-traditional character mappings.

This is the current mapping:

• 掇 and 輓 are given as the traditional variants of 挽; we have a 2:1 mapping

This is what it should be like:

• 掇 shouldn’t be involved, it’s a separate character
  • 挽 and 輓 should both be accepted as traditional forms of 挽

I have added this to our list of mappings to fix. It’s not trivial to update this on all platforms, but it will be done. If you have other information or suggestion to add about this case, please let us know!

It’s better to do slightly more than just accepting 挽 as a traditional character. Words like 輓救、手輓手、力輓狂瀾、。。。, although can be easily found online, are actually invented by the simplified to traditional converters, and thus should be corrected.

1 Like

Yeah, but a first step has to involve fixing the basic mapping, otherwise it’s impossible to fix any words. I’m not sure how existing words are affected by updating the mapping, but it’s something we’ll keep an eye out for. The surest way to get these things fixed is to report them as errors. Once the mapping is correct, such errors only take a few seconds to fix.