Hacking Chinese June vocabulary challenge (with prizes)

It’s time for another vocabulary challenge on Hacking Chinese! It starts on June 10th and focuses on characters, words and expressions. The challenge is sponsored by Skritter, including things both for new and existing users. Check the challenge article for details!

These challenges are run every month with different focus, with the goal of encouraging people to learn more through daily practice and friendly competition. If you want to learn more about the challenges, I recorded a podcast episode about it here:

You can learn more about the challenge by:

1. Reading about the challenge on Hacking Chinese
  2. Checking the video Jake and I recorded for the previous challenge

I have been reasonably good at keeping my review queue in Skritter at zero recently, so my goal for the challenge is two-fold:

1. Keep the queue at zero until for the duration of the challenge
  2. Trace errors for at least one error every day

I’m participating in all challenges this year as part of my New Year Resolution for 2021.

What’s your goal? See you in the challenge!

4 Likes

I’ll be keeping my study streak going and clearing my queue daily. Haven’t missed a day since the last Hacking Chinese vocabulary challenge!

I’ll also be continuing to add new vocabulary based on the books I’m reading, and my weekly Chinese classes.

Looking forward to seeing lots of Skritter users on the leaderboard.

Happy June, y’all!

2 Likes

@SkritterOlle very interesting article on tracing errors in character writing, thanks.

I notice in your article you don’t mention mnemonics. Do you not use them?

For 偵 I use the mnemonic “people use fortune-teller money to SEEK OUT their futures” based on 卜 for fortune-telling and 貝 for cowrie-shell money. “fortune-teller money” is also a useful mnemonic for the character for divination 貞 , although perhaps less helpful for the meanings of loyalty and chastity.

For 恬 I would use the mnemonic “heart tongue is QUIET and PEACEFUL” (in the sense of no racing thoughts.)

You also mention a “form component.” What is this, or more to the point, what is its function, separate from phonetic and semantic components?

Yes, I use mnemonics. I think I mention specific examples for roughly half the cases, no? I don’t do only a mnemonic, though, I combine that with more understanding of the character itself, but if you look under “solution” for each, you’ll see direct reference to mnemonic devices of various kinds!

1 Like

Looking forward to the challenge! Day 1 tomorrow :smiley: My goal is 40mn a day so that I can finally make some progress with the HSK4 deck

1 Like

My goal this time is to clear my queue, which was at 2250 or so before the challenge started. That’s only handwriting, so will take a while to clear! I aim for a maximum of 21 hours, but hopefully it’ll be faster than that.

I’m enjoying the challenge so far! My goal is to get a streak going on Skritter and to clear my queue of 800 cards.