Hacking Chinese Reading Challenge, November 10th to 30th

Okay, change of opinion on “Into the Haze”. Once you start playing it like a game and not a Chinese lesson (e.g. stop reading the bits of text that you know the outcome of and aren’t relevant to winning the game), it become quite enjoyable.
Not sure how that fits into actual learning outcomes though.

The idea is of course that you have to understand what it says to win (it’s practically speaking impossible to win without understanding what’s going on). If you skip something you’re sure what it says, that’s perfectly fine! Reading Chinese because you have some other goal than learning the language is usually a very good idea and part of the point of the text games. I see only positive things with reading in order to achieve something that isn’t just “read Chinese in order to get better at reading Chinese”. The games are also meant to encourage extensive reading:

1 Like

Well, the books I planned to read during this challenge have finally arrived, on the last day of the challenge. Hah.

1 Like

A pity they didn’t come earlier! But hopefully, learning continues beyond the challenge. :slight_smile: The next reading challenge will probably be in March!

Challenge was a blast. Thanks @SkritterOlle I took my daily pictures from IG and my data from the Hacking Chinese challenge site and made a little visual recap.

I hope everyone read a little more than they usually did, and had fun along the way.

Made it through all of the WordSwing text adventures, something that I’ve been putting off for like 3 years. Had to cram the last two in during the last day.

Perfect score on all of them except “Into the Haze”, need some more tips on how to improve my score there.

Impressive! :slight_smile: Hard to know what to improve without knowing what you know, but a hint might be that there’s probably stuff in the sewers you’ve missed. :slight_smile: