Searching a character in a deck to mark it as learned

I’m currently studying for HSK4, going through the Skritter deck for the exam as well as doing some online courses. Now and then I learn some new words through course that I’d like to mark as learned on Skritter… but there doesn’t seem to be a way to easily find the words without going through each 40 character section one by one, looking for that specific character.

Am I missing something? Is there a simpler way to search and mark a character as learnt on the app or on the site? :thinking: Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

Currently there is no way to do this quickly in the app or on the website. It is certainly something we’d like to improve in the future.

One alternative would be to make a custom deck of those words you’re studying, and that would also marked them as learned in the HSK deck if you’re looking to speed up the process a bit. The items will still come attached with all the sentences and everything else we have in our system for them when you create the deck.

Sorry that we don’t have a better solution for you at the moment🙁

1 Like

I make my own decks for everything I study.

Then once I’ve learned them, they are marked as learned on any subsequent deck I study.

Unfortunately there doesn’t seem to be a way to add new words to the database on new Skritter, so I have to open legacy Skritter almost every day in order to make a custom list that may contain words Skritter doesn’t have yet.

@Therebackagain correct, the ability to add new entries is not in the new application at the moment. We will be adding this feature into the app in the future, but we need to do a few things first to make that possible.

1. Create a new v3 API endpoint that makes this possible (and speedy)
  2. Ensure that we have a process on our backend client to audit new items added to our database before making them visible to all users

Sadly, the amount of incorrect entries that get added to our database is more than we’d like. Once an entry is created in our database it is there forever. Pinyin errors, and definitions are pretty quick fixes, but incorrect characters can cause some secondary issues that are kinda hard to fix.

We’ve got several ideas on how to handle this better moving forward, and we’re working on deploying those on our backend client before rolling out the ability to create entirely new entries on the new mobile clients.

1 Like

Good luck with that. It must take up a lot of time fixing input errors. As the database grows though, shouldn’t there be less need for anyone to input?

1 Like

Theoretically, but the errors often come from input mistakes for things that already exist in our system. Easy to do if you’re typing character by character, or not 100% familiar with the word you’re trying to add to the database.

Anyway, I do look forward to being able to add things to the app in the future, and search for words in decks easier, too!

1 Like