A Few Basic Questions

Hello,

I am new to Skritter and am currently using the trial version. I’m not very tech savvy, so I’m having trouble figuring out some things and can’t seem to find my answers online.

Firstly, I have taken Chinese for one semester at a my university, so I’d like to be able to practice Chapters 1 - 8 of the Integrated Chinese Textbooks, but it seems I have to grudgingly go through each chapter before I can reach the next. (I haven’t even made it out of chapter 1 yet and I’m a bit annoyed…) Is there a way around this?

Also, I’d like to be able to simply select the characters from the chapter and practice tracing them over and over to help my memory with writing the characters. Is this possible through this app, either online or on the phone app?

Lastly, the “list” feature… how does this work? I can’t seem to add vocabulary I want because I can’t go on to later chapters until the first is completed. At one point somehow I did create a list but it never let me practice it. I simply do not understand.

I’m guessing the trial version I have (which never clearly displayed itself as such) will expire soon… but I don’t want to buy Skritter unless I can understand it further. Is there any place to read deeper instructions or view tutorials? I want Skritter to work for me, but at this point I’m annoyed. Any help is greatly appreciated because this does seem pretty awesome if it will work right!!

Hi there, and welcome! :slight_smile:

You can specify at which part you want a list to start adding from, so if you want to skip the first few sections for instance, you can go into the list (by clicking it’s name), go to Settings on the left hand side, and then specify which section you want to add words from, and then press Save.

You can specify which characters to practice (without using the spaced repetition system) by using the scratchpad, at: http://legacy.skritter.com/scratchpad. (This will be coming to 2.0 as well).

In a nutshell, everything you study on Skritter comes from a list. When you create a list, it isn’t automatically selected to “add words from”. In other words you can create many many lists, but then choose which of those you want to actively be adding words from. You can also pause adding of lists at any time. If you are studying a list you did not create, you wouldn’t be able to edit the words in it, since you aren’t the owner. Instead, you can copy the list (using the “copy” link inside of the list’s page), which will create a duplicate copy that you are the owner of and can edit. You can view all of the lists that are active and those that are paused on the lists page, at: https://skritter.com/vocablists

There are a collection of guides available at: docs.skritter.com

If there’s anything else you’re wondering about keep it coming!