Adding words you already know?

I started using the wonderful skritter app around the intermediate stage of my Chinese learning. So all of HSK 1 and 2 and most of HSK 3 are not in my list of words on Skritter, they are just in my brain.

I would like to have those words in rotation, so that I can take advantage of Skirttier’s spaced repetition so that they do stay in my memory.

Is there any way to add list of words without “learning” them? I don’t want to have to prove that I know
我. Like could I add them and mark them known and then they show up randomly like the words I have been studying?

I hope that makes sense!

1 Like

Hi!

First off, so glad that you found Skritter! You can totally add the HSK 1-3 words into your Skritter queue. We don’t have a great way to “sprinkle” reviews into the mix right now, so my only suggestion would be to add a batch of them every day, and then take advantage of the “easy” grading option to move them further into the review queue than other things you might be studying.

If you’re on the website, you can do this by using the + button and adding a batch of items at a time from the early HSK decks. If you’re on the mobile Skritter: Write Chinese app, I would use the “mark as learned” button on individual sections of the HSK decks here and there over a few weeks.

This will at least add a little extra spacing to the SRS and keep your study queue manageable without crazy spikes of due cards all at once in the future.

Hope that helps answer your question. Feel free to email us at team@skritter.com if there is anything else we can do to help.

And once again, welcome to the Skritter community! Look forward to seeing your study progress.

Best,
Jake

Hi,

Just wanted to comment here because I ran into almost the exact same problem a while ago and had also asked if there was a way to mass select and add/ban already known words. I also started Skritter as an intermediate learner and it was a pain to go through HSK 1-3 to add them into the system, especially since I’m mostly a mobile user and there’s no way to select multiple words - you have to “mark as learned” each one. There are a couple of ways to speed things up on mobile:

• Instead of individually selecting “learn”/“mark as learned” on the word, select “learn” from the section so that you can keep going down the list to “mark as learned” - it’ll skip to the next word for you to learn instead of bringing you back to the section list main menu.

• Re: the “easy” grading option mentioned by SkritterJake. Like I said, I had also asked about this exact problem and was a little confused at first about the answer I got back.

Basically the lower right hand “skip” button during reviews marks the word as correct, so you can use this to quickly bypass the words you already know, e.g. if 我 shows up in your reviews since you just added it, don’t take the time to write it out, just use the skip button. It doesn’t just skip over the card for later (which was my mistaken impression of the function), it’s the equivalent of having done it and will get recorded like that. So by doing this a LOT, you’re gaming the grading system/algorithm so that the SRS will be where you want it to be. This is what the user guide says about the skip button:

Finally, you can navigate Back and Forward during your study activities. The Back button is useful for going back to re-write characters, correct accidental taps, and adjust grading. The Forward button automatically marks something as correct (“got it”) and skips to the next card or part of the card.

The devs did also mention that maybe in the future they will come up with a function to mark a word as permanently known, so intermediate or advanced learners newly joining Skritter will have an easier and faster way to make it more functional for their level.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.