Disable study writing for certain decks

Dear team,

Is it possible to limit the studying of certain lists to not include writing? I am currently studying early HSK-lists and do want to include handwriting. At the same time I am studying more specific vocabulary (e.g. food), where I currently do not want to learn handwriting. There is a setting in the web-based version, but it does not seem to have an effect on the app.

Best,
Janis

1 Like

Hi Janis!

You can configure a review session in the mobile app to not include writings (via the settings screen that shows before the review session).

Thank you @Jeremy! I am not so bothered about the single session but more about the composition of my overall studying material. What I am thinking about is to create a mix of studying material, that I can review in one daily session. Definition and pinyin of all vocab, writing for HSK1 and 2 (possibly 3) vocab only. Reason being that for now I want to limit handwriting to core-vocab (possibly the around 500 characters suggested by @SkritterOlle at HackingChinese). I could obviously use Skritter only for writing practice and other apps for definition/pinyin, but preferably I can do it all in one app.

The problem I encountered yesterday seems to have been caused by my mistake, though: I had already “learned” the decks I wanted to restrict. It seems that if I restrict studying to definition and pinyin in the web-interface before “learning” a deck, it will only include the desired cards. For the future, I would find it helpful to have these choices in the app itself. Also, I do not know what I have to do if I want to add writing at a later stage. Will I have to “forget” and “relearn” the decks?

Best,
Janis

At a later point if you re enable a part to study that was disabled, you could go into the deck and retrigger the learn mode for the item(s) so that the missing part will be added. It’s also possible that in the future there might be a setting for disabling certain parts for specific lists as well, that would really be handy!

Does anybody know if this is still the case? I’m studying HSK 5/6 but also subscribe to the Slow Chinese newsletter that includes colloquial/internet slang. I’d still like to review those words and phrases in Skritter but don’t see the need to practice writing them. Is there a way that I can disable the writing review for this particular word list? Thanks so much!