Discourse links not greying out now?

As of about a week-and-a-half ago, the Skritter Discourse links would grey out after I read a topic from the “Latest” tab (well, after reading them twice…never happened the first time).

Now, they never grey out no matter how many times I load the link.

It was nice because I could visually see what I’ve already read (i.e. The color change acted as a read/unread filter).

Is there a setting that was changed? I don’t see anything in my Preferences that might toggle this on/off.

It’s really much harder to read the forum now without being able to clearly see what I’ve already read.

And just as a note, I realize there is an “Unread” tab…but it doesn’t work all the time. It doesn’t seem to detect changes and edits all the time.

Since I didn’t get a reply, I did some digging on my own. It appears the Skritter team changed one of the Discourse parameters to disable the greyed out links when a topic is visited.

Just wanted to say: I MISS THIS FEATURE !

Here’s a couple links:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/why-are-some-topics-greyed-out/25192

I was just doing some digging into the issue as you posted these links. As far as I can tell, the Discourse team was thinking about killing “a:visited” due to the confusion it was causing (especially for users switching between web and mobile version of the forum).Discourse recently updated to a newer version and it appears (after scanning all of the Admin tools) that “a:visited” no longer exists as a setting. :frowning:

I was a fan of the feature as well. With the feature gone (for now) I’m going to be sorting Latest topics by activity and try to make better use of the “Watching, Tracking, Regular, Muted” options at the bottom of each post.

I was also troubled by this problem of the links not graying out. But after a few days, I’m now accustomed to the blue “new” and “number indicators” next to the topics.

http://discourse.skritter.com/images/welcome/topics-new-unread.png

The entries “Automatically track topics I enter” and “Consider topics new when” in the preferences have an effect on how these indicators work.

1 Like

I set these two settings to “Always” and “I haven’t viewed them yet” this morning and it seems to do much more what I’d expect. I still like the color change, but if that feature has been deprecated, then so be it.