HSK Graffiti (涂鸦)

When I’m not doing Skritter work I really enjoy making art. Earlier this year I kicked off a personal project and challenge of making 150 days of Chinese graffiti (涂鸦 túyā) based on the entire HSK 1 vocabulary list. I’m just over 60 days into the project and thought I would share some of my recent works with everyone. It’s been a lot of fun so far, and I hope to create a comprehensive poster of some sort when I’m all finished. For now, I’m just focused on the daily grind.

If anyone is interested in following the daily progress, you can check out my Instagram account.

Stay safe and healthy, everyone!

P.S. If anyone is doing fun stuff with their Chinese (calligraphy, learning challenges, whatever!) be sure to share it here on the forum, too. 我们一起加油吧!

8 Likes

These are super cool, and quite a few had me scratching my head trying to figure out which character it was! :sweat_smile:

I have a little blog where I put characters from street signs, wall paintings or neon lights — a collection of sorts. The photos were taken in Shanghai a lifetime ago, and I hope they last until I return to China someday!

4 Likes

That’s awesome; thanks for sharing! For many years, I’ve considered running a competition where students do a kind of HSK bingo, where they fill out a grid with HSK characters with real-life photos. The only reason I haven’t done it is that I can’t come up with a good way of organising it.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing the blog! I’m always fascinated by how companies play with fonts, colors, etc. on their signage. You got some nice shots, I especially love the 太 :slight_smile:

1 Like

Update: A little less than 50 words to go. Here are the first 100 altogether. Oh yeah!

4 Likes

Love the artwork. You must be having a lot of fun with these

1 Like

謝謝!It has certainly become a part of my daily ritual along with doing my daily skrittering :slight_smile:

You using procreate or some other program?