iOS Beta on iPad Pro

Just received my TestFlight invite so I’ve been trying out the Skritter Chinese iOS Beta (3.0.2, although on the fold-out tab it says 2.3.5 — is that the back-end version?).

I’m using an iPad Pro 10.5" with iOS 11.1.2 and Apple Pencil.

First impressions… works very smoothly, but the main issue is that the writing area is HUGE! Almost as big as my hand. This makes writing clumsy and quite tiring. Are there any plans to include settings to make it smaller? Maybe allow for small-medium-large?

The strokes also have subtle but visible pixellation around the edges.

I’m also finding that it seems to be quite picky about some strokes, e.g. first stroke (vertically down) on 吧 wasn’t being recognised unless I put a slant on it, which is (presumably) just a stylistic effect rather than a requirement of the character. Some other fussiness that I can’t quite quantify yet. This could be due to being forced to write at such a large scale.

Generally character sizes for Roman/UI stuff are quite inconsistent… some are large, some much smaller. The balance isn’t the same as for the phone app (I’ve been using the Android beta). I suppose this will be optimised eventually.

It works OK with the apple pencil, although I prefer using my finger for now. The pencil with its small, hard tip feels better for working at a much finer scale.

A landscape mode would be nice!

Apart from the above it seems the same as the Android beta. For the hour or so I’ve been using it so far it has synched OK with my account and stats appear the same as web and Android app.

1 Like

This is very likely!

Would you be able to send a screenshot in of how it’s showing up on your device?

We’re planning a round of stroke tune ups which will make the writing experience much better!

I’ve also noticed it can be inconsistent with spacing in some words (like “definition” on definition prompts)-- noted!

Also in the works!

We’re extremely happy to hear you’re liking the experience so far, and thanks for leaving warm feedback! If you do run into anything you think could use improvement beyond what you’ve mentioned please let us know. :smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.