Kunyomi vs. onyomi readings and definitions

Hello, I just started using Skritter and it is the best thing that has happened to my Japanese learning since I found Wanikani. I completed all of their Kanji lessons awhile ago, and am using this application to form a better bond with Kanji I have learned. I only use this application for the writing. Anyway, as I progress in my decks here I am having trouble recalling what I am supposed to write because, for example, Skritter will say “annotation; explanatory note; comment” and want 注. While I realize that is true, I learned this Kanji as ‘Pour’, which is what I am trying to review. I am editing the items as I go, but as I go I am having to do it more often. Is there anyway around this other than editing each Kanjis entry as I go? Thanks.

I highly recommend not studying single kanji, but instead words using the kanji–

for instance with 注, you could add 注意, 注文, 付注 and 注ぐ to your lists, etc…

IMHO, it isn’t as effective studying a single kanji and it’s meanings and readings out of context, where a word puts it more in context (more so with example sentences). Not to mention you can study multiple kanji “at the same time”, versus if it’s broken into single kanji prompts only :slightly_smiling: You could add all the highest frequency words using a particular kanji, which would teach it’s different possible readings and meanings, along with actual words.

Are Heisig keywords not an option for Japanese on this site, Jeremy? They are for Chinese, and his book on Japanese was out much earlier. (Ideally, there’d probably be keywords from multiple systems as an option).

1 Like

Ahh, I wasn’t thinking of keywords for some strange reason! Heisig definitions can be enabled for both Chinese and Japanese. Thanks Moringa!

@haidouzo You can enable Heisig keywords in your study settings: http://www.skritter.com/account/settings-study
This will add on Heisig definitions to single characters, so in your example “Pour” would be listed as bold as well as the other definitions.

1 Like