Learning traditional Chinese characters after studying simplified

Interesting new blog post on simplified and traditional Chinese characters. Are there any frequency lists in Skritter for the most common traditional characters that are different from their simplified forms? Ideally the user would be able to see the simplified form in the answer or prompt also, under the assumption that this had already been studied.

1 Like

Good question (and glad you liked the post)! I don’t know if there are, but let’s hope someone else does. In any case, there are several such lists out there in general (for other purposes). I remember using a “difficult cases” list when I learnt simplified… uh… four years ago, perhaps? I think the best approach is to learn the systematic changes (very easy), then start reading at your level (not too hard) and then go through a list of tricky cases, perhaps not to know it by heart, but at least be familiar wind and aware of them. Let’s see if we can find anything in Skritter, otherwise I might create one.

Maybe this list is similar to what you look for:

This list contains all differences between Simplified and Traditional Characters, taken from http://www.language.berkeley.edu/fanjian/toc.html
It includes the radicals, productive and non-productive characters as explained on the web-page.

2 Likes