Olle learns Japanese, part 1: Hiragana

New blog post: Olle learns Japanese, part 1: Hiragana

I started using Skritter in 2012, when I was studying a master’s program for teaching Chinese as a second language in Taiwan. I needed to prepare for a three-hour in-class handwritten exam on teaching methodology, and I used Skritter to make sure that if I failed the test, it wouldn’t be because I couldn’t express what I wanted because I forgot how to write the characters (I later wrote a blog post about that, if you’re curious).

Now, more than six years later, I’m using Skritter again, but this time as a complete beginner, learning Japanese. With help from @Jeremy, I plan to write about my experience. We hope this will be interesting for others, both those of you who are beginners like, but also for those of you who have already come a long way. I also hope to get some advice from advanced learners!

The first blog post introduces the project, as well as the first part, which was learning Hiragana in the new Japanese app. This only took about three hours study time, but I was myself surprised at how interesting the process was! I shared some of my thought in the blog post.

To make sure the reader gets the most out of these posts, each ends with an expert opinion by @jeremy where he answers some of my questions and offers some advice. You can read the blog post here:

Olle learns Japanese, part 1: Hiragana

As I said above, I’m curious to hear what other Japanese students have to say about the topics I brought up in the article. I would also like recommendations for learning materials, especially decks focusing on high-frequency words and reading practice (preferably with audio). Any suggestions?

2 Likes

This was some great reading. As another Japanese learning newb, I’m appreciating all the insights and discussion.

@Jeremy how does one say 加油 in Japanese?

Not knowing Chinese but seeing 加油 used a lot from Skritter, I would say it’s fairly close to 頑張って! in Japanese (if using to cheer someone else on).

1 Like