Production 3.4.0 Feedback

Using the new iOS 3.4.0 release. Some feedback:

List navigation doesn’t remember where I was. For example, go to the decks tab, Browse, then search for “practical”. Go into New practical Chinese reader volume three. Next hit the “back” arrow in the upper left. Skritter reloads all lists, instead of taking me back to my search results. My search is lost.

Going into any section of a deck and then backing out twice moves you back to the home screen instead of leaving you on the decks that you were searching. For example Go to Decks, Featured, and pick the Skritter Colors list . Go into the first section (Colors) and then back arrow out twice. You are now on the Home tab…it moved you completely out of where you were! This is really problematic when you’re trying to look into decks for words and seeing what they are and then it keeps putting you back to the home screen whenever you’re trying to search for something. The same results are observed if you use your own decks or if you’re using the featured or any other decks.This is really problematic when you’re trying to look into decks for words and seeing what they are and then it keeps putting you back to the home screen whenever you’re trying to search for something. The same results are observed if you use your own decks or if you’re using the featured or any other decks.

The old iOS app allowed you to look up example sentences in Pleco. However the new app doesn’t allow me to either select and copy example sentences, nor does it allow me to open them in Pleco. That would be a really nice enhancement.

If I delete the app and reload it, the “hide definitions” setting gets forgotten and is always turned off even though I changed it manually before deleting the app. All my other settings are remembered.

Love “rawest squigs”! It would be really nice if I could just tap the screen to check my answer, instead of needing to hit the button at the bottom, which is really difficult on an iPad. If I then want to mark my answer green and Move on, it would also be nice if I could just tap the screen again and have it move on.
Edit: Aha, I just realized that AFTER you reveal/check your answer and then tap the drawing canvas, Skritter will move to the next character. It does not SHOW me it marked it as Green, but when I go back to the prior character, Skritter shows it as Green. So, I don’t know if it’s a bug or feature. It would be nice to display the Green status BEFORE moving to the next char.

For some characters, the new “submit correction” option is almost scrolled off the screen, as per the attached image, in which you can just barely see the top of the characters at the very very bottom of the screen.

Edit: you can not scroll it so that it stays on the screen. This is scrolled all the way to the bottom.

If you edit the definition of a word and tap in the edit box twice, it scrolls the “save” button off the top of the screen. One can tap outside the box and get the button back, so there is a workaround, BUT it’s not obvious.

Edit: If you tap the Mnemonic box, it scrolls The definition box off again too.

1 Like

Is there a way to permanently hide the mnemonics on the info screen? I understand people love them, but they are so bizarre sometimes with ALL-CAPS SCREAMING often embedded in them, that I find them extremely distracting on the info screen. I like the character breakdowns, which are slotted at the bottom of the info screen, so it’s impossible to “not” see those awful mnemonics.

Examples with “mnemonics” having example sentence mnemonics and mixed case with bold & italics…visually UgLy. :wink:

1 Like

Having a toggle to hide popular mnemonics seems totally reasonable. Will add it to the notes! And thanks for the other feedback as well. We’ll dig into it and see if we can’t improve some of the things you’ve mentioned. Gonna be doing a patch update for 3.4.0 at some point in the near future once we’ve gathered a bit more data.

1 Like

On a multi-character prompt, clicking the new “word-grading” button beside the prompt does not stop the countdown auto-advance timer.

So, for example, if I draw a two character word and finish the second character, but decide to change the grade from Green to Yellow, I start clicking the word-grade button. But before I can cycle from Green to Yellow, the auto-advance finishes and moves to the next prompt while I am still trying to change the grade.

Please make the auto-advance stop of zero out when the grade is changed for the word. (I.e. the same as it does for selecting a new grade button for the character)

1 Like

Can certainly look into this and see if we can improve it in the patch update. In the meantime, you can tap the canvas area on tone and writing cards to pause auto advance, which will save you the trouble of tapping the back arrow to make any word-level grading changes.