Returning to Skritter after a long break - tips?

Hi everyone :wave:
Iā€™m returning to Skritter after a long break from both Skrittering and actively studying Mandarin. What are your tips and advice on catching up with my 5000 reviews (which are nearly a year old), versus nuking and starting again, or another approach?
Hand in hand with this is the question of the most efficient way to get back into studying in general - revising old books and courses? Starting afresh?
Any and all advice welcome! :blush:

(Iā€™m aware that this has been asked before but not recently so I thought Iā€™d make a new post.)

Hi Catherine,
I thik you can start with your rewies. Eventualy you can ban the most of them and after to unban a certain amount per day. Even after one year they are not necesary totaly forgotten.
I sugest to review the grammar from your text books. You can use Mandarin Compagnion to. The books for the beginers have a Wikigrammar for each chapter. They have just realised a new book, The prince and the pauper.

Iā€™m in a similar boatā€“Iā€™ve been too busy working on Skritter lately and my review queue has gotten to about 1,500! For me, working in small chunks and not overdoing it is key. So donā€™t try and tackle 1,000 items in a day or study for 3 hours (unless thatā€™s what you normally do). Keep it manageable and sane, and just be as consistent as you can. Eventually youā€™ll knock it down. Thatā€™ll also space the future SRS reviews out in a more manageable manner.

Alternatively, if you find you donā€™t remember a lot of the material and the reviews are overwhelming, the ā€œscorched earthā€ policy can be useful to get rid of your reviews. Reset all your account data, and start fresh. I did this once and am happy I did so.

Speaking as someone who fell off the bandwagon for a couple years after college, start with whatever youā€™re most motivated to do. If want to open up an old textbook, then do that. Or jump fresh into a new reader/book, podcast, TV show, etc. Re-build up your interest and motivation. I think talking with a person is the best motivator, and there are lots of teachers/tutors/language exchange partners you can find in-person or online. Donā€™t dwell on re-learning every little bit perfectly, and keep moving forward! You can always look up a grammar point or character when you need to.

2 Likes

Iā€™m using the old android app, my method may not work on other versions, but what I tend to do when I end up in this situation is that I use the filter function to study just one list and I study that list until zero. Then I add a second list and study it to zero. Repeat. I do this so that I only get small chunks of reviews at a time, allowing me to see the numbers go down (going from 100 to 0 is a lot more encouraging than going from 2000 to 1900) and since I keep all of my caught up lists in my filter it keeps bringing in the items I need to review. This is important since when Iā€™ve been away a while I miss a lot of reviews since they are so far past the SRS calculated due date. Often they need to be put in the queue for a short period so that I can get them back into my memory, but if Iā€™m studying everything at once, something that needs to be studied again in an hour may be shoved back into a huge list and I wonā€™t get to it for two weeks. I feel when I do this that I end up with a huge number of items that I donā€™t remember well but that are being spaced out too far for me to get caught up on them.

2 Likes