Skipping the "Learn" function and adding large amounts of words all at once into the review deck

I’ve been studying writing-only cards for the last couple years and currently have ~5000 words in my review deck. However, now I would like to focus on the reading cards instead of the writing cards. Since I am already familiar with the words I will be studying, is there a way to skip the “learn” function and add all of the new reading cards to my review deck all at once, or do I have to manually go through all of my decks and click learned one by one? I am on Android 3.9.2.

To future readers of this post I found a solution:

1. Go into your main settings and turn on reading cards (I also turned off writing cards, though I’m not sure if that is necessary)
  2. Go into the deck options and “copy” to make a new deck
  3. Tap “Rejuvenate” in the new deck to mark all cards as learned. This will add all new reading cards to your study queue.

If the deck is large the rejuvenate function takes a long time to load doing this, like plug your phone in and walk away kind of long, but it beats doing it manually.

That is a super creative way to do this! As you’ve discovered, we currently don’t have a way to do this in the app, but I’m glad you found a solution!

I hope we can improve things in the future so that it is easier to quickly add different card types for items you’ve already learned and even quiz yourself on card types you’re not reviewing.

Warning: Turns out doing this messes with the SRS scheduler. After a few days of working with a 5000 card deck trying to do 100 per day (via the 100 cards option in the review deck), I noticed that the cards I got wrong were not coming back the next day. Instead, it seemed that I was getting a random 100 cards from the deck everyday.

Though I don’t know the backend of the SRS software and I could be wrong on the specifics, my best guess is that since I added 5000 new cards all at once, they were all labelled as equivalently “new” or “level 0” in the SRS system. Therefore when I got a card wrong, it had nowhere to go below level 0 and was still scheduled as equivalent to the other 5000. So basically the fact that I got certain cards wrong wasn’t captured. This usually isn’t a problem because nobody adds this many cards at once, but it was interesting to find out.

I think the best method for anyone who wants to study new card types is to still make a copy of the deck you want to study, but just tap through 100 (or whatever number you want to study) cards manually everyday to add them to the review deck. Then you can review them right then and not have the SRS problem.