Skritter Android Updates

Hi, I’ve had problems with my skritter app since friday. The app registres the strokes so slow that it is impossible to use. I also wrote to the skritter beta testers community on saturday, but didn’t get any response. The problem occured since the app automatically updated from google play to 0.108.2728.
I tried reinstalling the app twice, but it didn’t help.
Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks

@ido @larsivi I pushed out a new patch update yesterday (0.110.2730) that fixes the issue with prompts not being able to advance. It should be available for download via Google Play.

I have also uploaded the APK files here: http://html5.skritter.com/files/0.110.2730/

@Teri There have been a few other users reporting this issue and I’m still trying to figure out what’s causing it. You might give the latest update a try, though the patch changes to it aren’t specifically addressing the slowness issue.

2 Likes

It seems to work for me now, Josh - great work!

All of the development changes are happening on the backend at the moment. When the “real” updates happen for Android it’s gonna blow your mind :wink:

Mine is still not working…not even after the update :disappointed: I hope you can fix it soon, it’s been a week and I really miss skritter!

I’m going to be releasing an update today that reverts our compiler to an older version. I’m hoping that this will help resolve these recent issues with patchy performance. Keep an eye out for it or you can directly install it using the link below!

http://html5.skritter.com/files/0.112.2730/

I’ve been having a difficult time fixing the issue because I’ve yet to be able to reproduce the slowdown on my devices. Any and all feedback about this latest release would be greatly appreciated.

I downloaded the update and everything is working just fine now. Thanks!

1 Like

Glad that things are working!

Hi, just wondering what the timeline is on example sentences for the Android app? I’ve just cleared a huge review backlog, but am hesitant about adding new words, as it’s pretty inefficient having to open Pleco every word to get the context.

I can’t put an exact date on it, but they’ll be back in some capacity sometime over the summer.

Thanks for the quick reply. I will unsubscribe for now, but will be happy to return once the examples sentences are in. I’ll check back over the summer :sunny:

Also, is there any way to stop the app randomly deciding it is time to synch? It often happens in the middle of the day, which makes it difficult to squeeze short study sessions in.

Are you referring to the popup that says “Getting Started”? This only occurs when the application is closed and opened. If the application is just sent to the background without exiting then it should open up instantly and skip that step.

This may also fall into the sunny summary update. The way the application syncs is also something that is being improved so that it’ll be more transparent. Right now it aggressively checks for changes when loading up to better help keep things in sync for people who switch to Android from the website or iOS during the day.

Yes, ‘getting started’. It definitely happens throughout the day even if the app hasn’t been closed, regardless of internet availability. I’m using a Xiaomi 4 if that helps, but I’ve seen the same happen on a friend’s Nexus 5. The IOS app never stops users from skrittering, and syncs in seconds…

Anyway, looking forward to this big update :slight_smile:

Do we need to download and install the audio expansion pack if we got the application from the playstore ?
in the future can’t you add it as an option inside the application like on ios ?

Right, if you download it via the Play Store it’ll be included. We’re going to be switching to a system that more dynamically downloads sound as needed. That’ll negate the large initial sound download and need to initial any audio expansions.

It’s not doing a good job of syncing when I swap devices. Or maybe it’s only the stats that are out. I’d given up on using the android app because it’s so slow to load and tells me I’ve got hundreds more cards due than I do unless I reload data.

I need to give up my iPad so I thought I’d give the phone another go. It just took 8 mins to start up Skritter, then 11 to reload data and ‘getting started’ again. I could have skipped the reload but it was telling me I had 800 more items due than I do and I suspect the instability I was experiencing before I stopped using the app is probably tied in with the same issues causing the stats to be so far out.

I’m having a hard enough time treading water with the number of cards due as it is so I can’t afford to go on a Skritter vacation. I might have to bite the bullet and buy another iOS device.

+1 on improving the syncing, and very much looking forward to the summer update.

I recently switched from iOS to a Mi4, and the Skritter experience has been quite bad. I often see the Getting Started screen for 3-5 minutes. On iOS, I was able to practice on the train. On Android, I often find I am already at work before the Getting Started screen has finished :frowning:

I now mostly use Skritter for a short time at home, where I still have an old iOS phone.

We’re definitely looking to improve the overall syncing experience on Android. It’s usually the stats that are being displayed incorrectly on Android, not the underlying data. As long as the time studied matches the website, then things should be saving properly. The stats do also tend to get a bit more off when switching between multiple platforms.

@mikemills @1113 Are these syncing issues more noticeable while on mobile data or wifi?

Slightly better on wifi, but not by much. Still over a minute to start.

Sorry josh - don’t know. Things were so slow to start up on WiFi that I didn’t see the point trying it on 3g. Having said that, the 8 minute start up from the other day hasn’t been repeated on a number of restarts since. It now seems to be starting up in quite acceptable time. I also haven’t had any stability issues though I really haven’t spent long enough on it to put it to proper test.

I’ll try to make time to do some skittering out and about on the phone to confirm that the stability is sorted and see how it does on 3g but things are a bit hectic at the moment so it might take me a while.

I had been using the html5 client on a win8 tablet until a week or so ago. It had the same issues as the android client but I could do the start up and data reload while docked at work and then take the tablet to lunch with me. I went to use it yesterday and found it’s been replaced with a new version that’s clearly not ready yet. (slow, hangs, minimal features)

I’ve now got access to an iphone for a while so I’ll probably jump between all three os’s over the next few months once things quieten down and I have some free time.