Skritter Mobile Beta 3.2 Updates (Current Version: 3.2.2 300252)

Thanks for your feedback. Just FYI, since you’re on iOS13 (as am I), the app is more likely to experience bugs. For example, the app doesn’t handle being in the background, so if you go to another app for a bit and then come back, it likely won’t work as well and data won’t refresh. We are keeping a close eye on the Apple betas to see if this gets fixed on their end before prioritizing.

1 Like

Another bug using the latest Skritter beta on the newest iOS 13 beta: sometimes it appears to be the case that after studying some vocabulary, if you want to exit the review mode and hit on “Exit”, just nothing will happen. Then you have to force close the app which will delete your progress you just made.

3 Likes

We’re looking into this, thanks for letting us know!

With the latest iOS AppStore Build, if I want to edit a definition, the words I type in just remain white and hence are not visible. Maybe you can look into this.

Another question: is it possible to edit the pinyin of words? I accidentally typed in the wrong tones after I added new complete new vocabularies, however I cannot change the pinyin afterwards. Deleting the words and making a new entry doesn’t help as the previous wrong pinyin is already saved into the severs.

Would you be able to confirm which device you’re using and version of iOS?

Not in the meantime, however you can report any pinyin in need of editing to team@skritter.com! There will also be a way to report any corrections directly in app in the future.

iPhone X and using the latest iOS 13 public beta

1 Like

This bug is still present in your official AppStore build 3.3.1.

I would kindly ask you to shift your focus on this bug as it really hinders me from using Skritter, because it won’t save my progress and I have to start all over again.

The issue of it not working well in the background has been fixed as of the latest build and we’re looking to get it on the app store ASAP. Sorry for the 麻煩。

Thanks, seems to be fixed! Another thing: it would be nice to have the function to directly delete words in the app from my whole account. And I don’t mean just banning them, but rather to entirely delete them.

1 Like

i am encountering this same bug, i get through the whole list and it will not exit after the last one, and i cannot force exit

This is on the way!

If it’s not too much trouble, would you be able to email us at team@skritter.com with your device information?

Quick question: how about the progress you made in terms of the dark mode? Unfortunately, it’s still not really usable now, Maybe you could prioritize that one for the next build? Especially during evening before going to sleep, a dark mode is much more appealing to the eyes than the bright Standard design

Great question. We’ve removing it from the app in preparation for our next release version 3.3.6. Many of the new changes have made it largely unusable, and even the “beta” tag was feeling like a big stretch on the latest internal build I was testing on. I agree that NEO is way better on the eyes in low light. The theme will be coming back into app sometime in the new few release updates when we can spend some more time improving it and organizing our theme files to allow for more dynamic changes in the future.

I’m certainly a fan of NEOs potential (and would love to get 4-5 high quality themes into the app), and I look forward to tackling the project as soon as we can!

On iOS/iPadOS, please make any new dark mode obey the system dark mode toggle. It’s annoying how many apps insist on their own separate dark mode toggle and simply ignore the system setting. The system setting is easily available from a quick swipe down, so it easily changeable from any app.

1 Like

I have a question: is there a way you can add the function to study the starred words only? I face some words which I personally want to study more than others. That’s why I mark those words and would love to have a study mode like “test” only dedicated to the starred words. Maybe you have some feedback on his.

This is on the agenda! :slight_smile:

One bug in the current beta is that in tone questions the neutral tone in words can also be marked with the initial tone of the character. For example for 后面 it must be hou4mian, but skritter also accepts hou4mian4 which is actually not correct.

One bug in the current beta is that in tone questions the neutral tone in words can also be marked with the initial tone of the character. For example for 后面 it must be hou4mian, but skritter also accepts hou4mian4 which is actually not correct.

That is by design! The general principle is that we display PRC standard for pronunciation, but also accept other standards (mainly Taiwan). So for words that are listed as neutral tone in PRC standard but with a full tone in Taiwan standard, such as 时候/時候 (shíhou), we should show you the PRC standard, but also allow you to input the Taiwan standard. This isn’t always the case, but that’s simply because there are tens of thousands of words and fixing problems is an incremental process largely based on reports from out users, so thanks for reporting!

However, in this particular case, the PRC standard actually is with a fourth tone on both syllables, so it should be hòumiàn. I checked and it seems that we in general have neutral tones for thins, which doesn’t follow the principles I outlined above, so we’ll probably do something to update that. In general, though, we consider it a feature to accept input as long as it’s standard somewhere. This goes for stroke order too, by the way, so we teach PRC standard stroke order, but if you write according to Taiwan standard it should also be accepted!

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Skritter Mobile Beta 3.4.0 feedback (v. 300369)

This beta thread is stale since we’re on 3.4.0 now. I’ve moved some of the recent conversation over there, and locked this thread to keep things a bit more clean and organized.

Thanks for understanding!