Skritter Mobile Beta 3.2 Updates (Current Version: 3.2.2 300252)

Hey, we’re close to a release, but some of the team (including myself) took last week off for Chinese New Year, so we decided not to flip the switch with a half-manned ship. Additionally, we all did a lot of studying over the vacation and discovered some of bugs that we want to fix up before the initial release. It’s really just a matter of polish and stability at this point. We want to produce an initial release that just works (as relatively smoothly as an initial release can work :grimacing: ) for the vast majority of our users on day one rather than release something too early that almost works.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! Definitely, a (fully) stable release is much more appreciated! So I assume we can expect that new app somewhat by next week.

I’d say sooner :slight_smile: Make sure you’ve opted in as an iOS beta tester on TestFlight!
https://docs.skritter.com/article/158-becoming-mobile-beta-tester

Ohh, I deleted the beta and TestFlight because you said the next build will be released in the App Store. So it will be a beta again? I mean nothing wrong about that, but then I will definitely install TestFlight again!

Yes, it will be delivered as a beta on TestFlight. This is the direct link you’ll want to open up: https://testflight.apple.com/join/xZGMuuNx

Hey MiaoM,

Sorry we didn’t make this clear, but the way to add new words to your REVIEW queue is to go into LEARN mode within a deck. When you click GOT IT, or SKIP, it will add to the queue. If you want to add lots of words to the REVIEW queue, just hit SKIP.

We made a video about some of the new changes here (for the Chinese app), but the UI is almost the same.

1 Like

Great news! When can we expect the android beta though? Itching here.

I’ve been using the last usable beta for Android (2.15? Something like that) for several months and it’s definitely on its last legs. It no longer shows progress and loses the timer anytime I exit out of studying. This is still tracked on the website so I didn’t panic too much. Today, it stopped loading at all and says I’m not connected to data.

So I’m hoping against all hope that the Android version is available ASAP because I literally use Skitter for 2 to 3 hours a day, it’s my primary source of studying for the TOCFL, which is coming up in a month, and without it I will be lost with what exactly to do. So please please please give me some good news!

Sorry to keep you waiting! Taiwan team will be winding down the work week soon and we really want to avoid a weekend release, especially with a new app that hasn’t been tested outside of the Skritter team, but there is a strong chance that we’ll ship Android beta early next week!

Best of luck on your TOCFL exam! I found the test books they have to also be a good source to study from for at least one round of testing. After that its way too easy to remember the answers unless you really put the books down for a while :frowning:

We’re working to get the new Android beta out as soon as we can. I hope the new study modes are a boost to your test prep!

加油!

4 Likes

silly question, is the new beta app going to replace the old one? at the moment i like the current beta, it works quiet well.

Today i got my hands on the ios beta on my wife’s iphone and i realised that the hide definition and hide reading buttons are missing. Will the new android beta be the same? I usually study with these options turned off.

The original iOS app will still be around for awhile, however once the beta is ready it will replace the original Android version first.

Not everything has been added in yet, thanks for the heads up!

1 Like

Hi,
It appears that there is simply no “LEARN” button on the Android version. I just got the 3.1.4 update, and there’s nothing of what’s in the video… I can’t add new words or create a deck.
I still can’t edit my older decks.
I still have the same 3 words coming again and again in the TEST mode…
I hope I finally get to actually test skritter someday ^^ it seems great when it works.

1 Like

The new beta update looks great! The writing behavior feels a lot more natural for me. There are two major issues for me though – the lack of hide definition/hide reading buttons, and the move from 4 possible scores to 2. I made heavy use of the so-so and too easy scores before, and it feels really awful not to have them anymore. The reason I moved to this app from Anki was partly because it used the same scoring system. Is that gone forever?

Another thing, possibly a bug – when I opened the beta this morning I had 530 cards to review. That seems pretty high since yesterday I only had 130 reviews in the morning and added just 5 words. I noticed some syncing issues in the last few days after using Skritter in airplane mode, maybe it’s related to that? I don’t mind going through all those reviews, but it will take a long time and if there’s any way to fix it quickly, please let me know.

Still getting used to the new app but it looks good! I hope it’s more stable than the previous beta.

2 Likes

Sorry guys but I really don’t like what I see so far. On my tablet it takes forever whenever I try to go anywhere - start the app, wait a minute for a full load, select a deck, wait for it to work out that it has been done, select a section (don’t appear to be able to just select the whole deck), wait for it to load - no study option, just ‘download’.

I do get a test option on some decks but not others. I can’t see why. Again when I select test it takes some time to load to the point that start test is enabled. I select 10 cards and wait again.

When I eventually get into the test the canvas has shrunk to the point that I might as well be using a phone. Maybe it’s just because I picked skritter 101 but the cards are so easy I find it hard to believe they’re the ones most overdue for that set.

I don’t like losing 4 grading options and I can’t see where I can turn off the automatic reading.

Swapped to my phone and the performance is a lot better but now the canvas really is far too small

1 Like

I would at least like 3 grading options. I never used the 4th grading option previously but l liked being able to mark that I got it but I want to review it sooner because I was a bit shaky on it.

2 Likes

I also wasn’t sure how to mute the sound. I tried touching the sound icon when studying but it just played sound. I also noticed that when I touched the sound icon it played a different sound than the the one when the card auto played the sound. I’m studying Remember the Kanji so I never studied it with sound before and I am unsure if this is a known issue or if it’s a new one.

I am so glad to finally be able to study character to definitions on Remembering The Kanji. However I have noticed it sometimes gives me the character to definition and then ask me the definition to character on the next card for the same character. I feel this makes doing the definition to character too easy. It would be nice if there was at least a 3 character gap between the two.

You have it so when doing tests, you can test on one section at a time or a set amount in a deck. If I choose to study the set amount I feel I don’t have enough control over which characters I’ll be studying. If I study one section at a time then I feel some sections are too small and easy so I want to study multiple sections to study at once. I also feel some sections are too big and hard and I want to only study half of it but again setting the amount doesn’t tell me which half I’ll be studying. It would be nice if I could choose sections I want to study and just do them. It would also be nice to have an options that appear on big sections that says something like split study session for test. Once pushed it could give options like test on 1st half of section 1-20, test on 2nd half of section 21-41.

1 Like

Aha. I have a real bug now – when I have the tones card for 太客气, I’m only able to enter a 4th tone followed by a neutral tone (although the correct tones are 440) and then the interface doesn’t accept any more input. Not frozen. Just stuck. And I’m unable to progress past that.

What tablet are you using? If you use the in-app help found in the side bar, that will give us your device details.

If there is only a download button, you need to download that deck first, and then you’ll see them.

Some of these issues like not seeing a LEARN button might be because you don’t have an active account with us. We are looking to remove some of these restrictions for beta users soon.

We haven’t yet optimized the design for tablets yet, so it’s possible it doesn’t look great yet. On mobile, it is not quite as large as before, but it more akin to “real-world” writing (on phone keyboards/ by hand!).

Thanks for your feedback. We’re still actively fixing bugs and adding features.

I’ll send the device details via the app.

I’m surprised I have to download each section of each deck individually to study them.

In the ” real world” people use on screen keyboards on their phones. The canvas might reflect real world if I had a stylus (without the performance impacts they often come with) but using a finger is akin to finger painting and the canvas on the phone is far too small to comfortably finger paint complex kanji with fat fingers

1 Like