Why is Remembering the Kanji Vol 2 not in any of the lists?

I have not read Remembering the Kanji yet, but I plan to soon. I wanted to get study lists for all 3 volumes, but I notice I can only find Vols. 1 and 3. Is there any particular reason for this? Is there something unique about Volume 2?

Volume 2 teaches readings where Volume 1 teaches just Heisig keywords, so the lists on Skritter would end up being the same (since it’s the same characters). On another note, I really recommend not studying kanji in isolation and out of context unless it’s a word on it’s own. Here’s a post you might be interested in: https://blog.skritter.com/2017/03/shouldnt-study-single-kanji-japanese-not-high-frequency-word/

2 Likes

Another of Skritter’s problems is controlling the specific audio you want for RTK2. I have been too busy recently but I had planned on making some recordings on the weekend to demonstrate. Right now when shown a character it will play either the Japanese or Chinese origin of the sound (I’m not sure which) and then it will play the sound with the other origin when you touch the sound button.

RTK2 focused on the Japanese sounds with Chinese origins since you can match characters to sounds 1 to 1. Japanese sounds with Japanese origins are a bit messier having ratios all over the place.

1 Like

When you study RTK1 remember to add words through the study mode so you can learn character to definition and definition to character. If you just use Skritter the traditional way with auto adding or manual adding it will only do definition to character.

Also while I agree with the points made by Jeremy in the article I still choose to study in the RTK way for the following reasons.

1. It’s the only way that works for me. Without mnemonics their is no way I can remember the kanji.

2. It is a complete system.

That said it doesn’t match the JLPT order at all so until you finish the whole book you will have all kinds of gaps with regards to which characters will stick in your brain and which won’t.

1 Like