New blog post: Cornerstones of learning vocabulary, part 2: Active recall

Active recall is a much better way of learning anything, including vocabulary. Instead of seeing the answer or rereading something, research clearly shows that actively asking questions, encouraging you to retrieve the memory actively leads to better long-term results.

Read the article here!

1 Like

Active recall is a good reason to not give the answer right away when you don’t know a word. I’ve been using Skritter just to check Definitions, and I wish there was a way, when I say I don’t know a word (which I DO know, dammit, I just forgot a bit…), for the program to give me some hints. For example, show me an example sentence.

Yeah, hints would be useful, but hard to create. Should they be manually created? If not, what should they be based on so as to avoid having tons of crappy hints? One way of doing it is to show more information, then deliberately ignore parts of it. For example, you can rely on the example sentence, but not look at the Pinyin unless you really have to (just an example).

1 Like

I have ideas coming from one who has an art degree and is an artist, but I won’t share here. If Skritter engineers want to contact me–they can.

You can contact us at team@skritter.com! :upside_down:

1 Like