Skritter Mobile Beta 3.2 Updates (Current Version: 3.2.2 300252)

So glad to hear it! Speed updates coming soon

Not at the moment, although we’re not ruling it out in future updates.

Good to hear, waiting for next release. On another note, are you planning to re-introduce that single character parts/radicals lookup upon click on the single character in the info slide screen?

In the old version it was very handy to look up components of a single character out of a two-character card, and their meaning (and mnmemonics) this way. Thx.

Yes, absolutely! :smiley:

1 Like

This is something we want also, and will be added in future releases. Here is a concept of how it may work, and is currently in the development queue.

In the meantime, we’re focusing on big speed improvements to most aspects of the app, as well as introducing deck management features so you can add and edit words from the app. The speed improvements will be the first customer facing fix and available to test soon.

Thanks for sharing those pics and information. Looks really good, and it’s completely understandable that speed and stability go first.

The new “drop-down” character component lookup style seems really intuitive. It would be nice if you could drop down multiple levels to even the radicals of the components and their meaning. This would save time not having to look it up in Pleco etc., for instance if one wants to create a mnemonic for a two character card in one’s mind on the go.

1 Like

Hi Gwylim, thank you for sharing the design update for character breakdowns. I have two thoughts on the design.

The first is that it is nice to be able to access the breakdown, but it would be far more valuable to be able to interact with the full character information that is shown on the sheet, for each individual character. Right now, single character mnemonics are completely disabled and inaccessible from words. Same thing for all the other stats and info on the info sheet. If clicking on a character took you to that info, it would also provide the breakdown but be far more valuable. You can always see the breakdowns in Pleco, with much more detail, but setting mnemonics right now requires switching to the web app.

Second, once you show the breakdown, we will inevitably want to see the breakdown of each component, requiring some way to navigate to that.

Solving both of these problems will be far more valuable, to me at least, than what you have above. In fact, without the ability to recurse, I don’t think I’d use the above at all. But I’ll send you a present if you add in access to character mnemonics. :wink:

Lastly, does the definition for 飯 in your Skritter really include “white stuff you eat”? :joy:

1 Like

Any idea when we might get an option to launch a Jisho URL for a word or character? That would give me everything I need in the way of decomposition information + a lot more.

i realised by learning a card at a time, its a bit faster. when a card is learned return to list and choose another one.

1 Like

How are the updates coming along?

We’re looking to ship a beta build either this week, or early next week, with the included speed improvements.

3 Likes

thats great! so far the beta review sessions are very stable, other than loosing sync every now and then, a restart of the app fixes the issue.

That’s great. Are there any updates when we can expect the next beta build?

1 Like

any update when the next beta is out?

2 Likes

I downloaded Test Flight app but only see message that reads: “No Apps Available to Test” how do I get access to beta to test out? Would love to have teach stroke order option for my daughter. Thanks!

My account is quite large, and I am having trouble downloading my account. If it fails, it has to start the whole process over again. It stops downloading if I leave the app, so I continuously need my phone to be in the app in order to get through the process. The main slow part of downloading my account information is the high number of decks I have (almost 200), and each deck takes about 10 seconds to download.

We’ve finally submitted it to Apple, and waiting for them to approve it for release. If you’re on Google, then it should be ready now, and for apple, in the next few hours or day hopefully. :crossed_fingers:

You can read all the release notes here:

https://blog.skritter.com/2019/05/3-2-beta-update/ (more in-depth)

Here are the instructions. A big update for iOS should be live in the next day or two depending on Apple.

The next update (3.2.0) should make the initial sync 10x faster for large accounts and hopefully fix this problem. If you still experience a significant wait after the update, let us know at team@skritter.com.

great job guys! so far after a couple test runs all run smoothly. i will.do more extensive test.runs while commuting on monday.

2 Likes

Just tried the latest Android betas (3.2.0 300220). Some observations:

• The writing area is still too small.

• I need to be able to review an unlimited amount of stuff. I get you can “test” individual decks to your heart’s content, but I want a way to practice all my knowledge of Chinese, not just once source of vocabulary. (It also makes it hard to beta test the review process :wink: )

• In a similar vein, de-automating learn is fine with me, but it would be nice to have one learn button I can hit from the main screen. Moreover, it’s not clear to me how I’m supposed to know there’s a list with words available to learn. (It seems to be the case that if you have words to learn, only those decks are shown on the home screen, and if you don’t, all decks are shown. If so, that makes it clear where to learn from, but it’s a pretty unintuitive to make it harder to get to your other decks when one of them has words to learn.)

• On the Decks tab, “My Library” should be the default (especially if the above behavior is intentional).

• I added more words to a list so I could test learn mode more, but the app didn’t see them. I’ve quit and restarted the app to no avail. Only the painfully slow “Refresh Local Data” option had an effect.

• Text sizes can be really small; it is a strain on the eyes to read the prompt. Often times the only visible text is the smallest, which makes no sense.

• Umlauts and tone marks are still at each others’ throats:

• Some cards are a little too hard. (I think this word lacked a definition.)

• I used to like the understated supplemental feedback offered by the sound effects, but it seems like there are more of them now? I had to turn them off. One concrete problem is it is counter-productive to have the sound effects play simultaneously with the spoken word.

• That said, the word sounds are often played really late. Really, really late. On many occasions I will have switched to the next card and be in the midst of answering that question when the previous word’s sound is finally played. That’s very distracting.

2 Likes