When will HSK 3.0 vocabulary lists make into the app?

@SkritterJake Any update on new HSK-2021 list timing? I know the announcements this week clarified there would be no near-term changes in HSK1-6, and the first HSK7-9 test would be in March 2022.

But I’d still find the preliminary Skritter lists valuable, especially for Levels 1-3.

Do you have timing yet? (I have a list from the Pleco forums and am considering just using that as a resource to start my own Skritter list, so I’m curious how close you are to having something official)

2 Likes

And a further thought— the list could also be named something like “2021 Chinese Proficiency Standards in International Chinese Education, Draft Version”…hence, no direct confusion with HSK, but still making the word set available.

My main interest is in the Hanban-assessed list of frequently-used words…yes, long term those will most likely be phased into HSK, but even if that’s a half-decade-long project, the lists are valuable, in and of themselves.

8033/11092 items checked as of this morning (72.42% complete)! Coming along very nicely.

Once the audit is done we’ll get everything sorted by band/level, order items by frequency (it’s all alphabetical right now), and get the new decks up on Skritter.

5 Likes

Someone uploaded the lists for HSK1 and HSK2

1 Skritter | HSK level 1 new (2021)
2 Skritter | HSK level 2 new (2021)

1 Like

I thought these lists were very odd at first, given the difficulty of the earliest words (愛/爱 is number one.)

But I see the person who has compiled these lists has done so alphabetically, by first character, by pinyin.

Useful as a reference but not a good list for those new to the language.

I guess the official lists are also alphabetical.

It would be better for new learners to wait for the official Skritter lists, ordered by frequency.

We are working on the official lists, as @SkritterJake said, and they will be ready fairly soon.

I’m a bit curious as to why people are in such a rush, though. The lower level exams won’t be affected for a long time, probably years, and anyone who’s studying the lower levels now will long have graduated from them when the new standard makes it into actual exams.

The case for studying the words for the new levels (7-9) is a bit better, but as most people on that level should know, memorising vocabulary lists isn’t going to make you pass any advanced proficiency exam. This is more true the more advanced the exam gets. You’re much better of just reading and listening more and adding words you come across and find interesting and/or important.

I know most users will never read this thread, and even fewer will heed my advice, but really, learning Chinese is not the same studying for the HSK! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

This is level 100 sorcerer wisdom :beers:

I’ve added the third level,too:
Skritter | HSK level 3 new (2021)

1 Like

I have used the official lists, and you’re right: it does make more sense to study the words in some order that makes sense, for instance following the chapters in your book - but as far as I know, no new course material has been published yet. I have copied these lists into skritter for reviewing purposes, not for people who see them for the first time.

3 Likes

I may be an oddball, but I find that adding vocabulary by juxtaposing different usages of the same character (i.e what you happen to get when you have an alphabetical list) to be quite helpful.

Yes, it’s true the info doesn’t “flow” as well, but from the standpoint of understanding some of the variations and nuance that a single character can provide to words, it’s quite helpful.

3 Likes

Thanks for the hard work. Could we by any chance also get HSK lists of characters ? I’m not a big fan of reviewing words on Skritter, but I find it a great help to not forget how to write the characters previously learned.
Cheers

Do you mean characters that appear in HSK, or do you mean single-character words that appear in HSK? Once the lists are ready, these types of variations shouldn’t be too hard to create, but I don’t see that they would appeal to many students.

The problem with the first option is that you’d then study lots of things that you’re not actually required to know (individual meanings and usages of characters that only appear in a word, for example), and for most people, being shown all meanings of a single character is rather overwhelming. That being said, as was recently discussed here, studying single characters can of course be useful, so I’m not saying we won’t create such a deck!

The problem with the second option is that it’s rather arbitrary, but I think you probably meant just characters that appear in HSK!

Yes, I mean the characters that appear in the HSK levels. Though it’s true it can be overwhelming for beginners, in more advanced stages, I found it to almost be a necessary step. As you mentionned earlier, the only way to actually progress in skills is to use them. When I started reading the newspaper, I bumped into a lot of characters I knew, in words I hadn’t learnt; and I realized that if I had digged earlier into their individual meaning, I would have been able to understand and learn new words much faster and much more “smoothly”, as their construction would make sense to me. Anyway, as you said, the target demographic might be quite restricted. But it exists !
Cheers !

2 Likes

@Hjet thanks for these lists. I meant only that new users should probably wait for the frequency-ordered lists Skritter is making, but as a more advanced user, I found the alphabetical format more useful for me personally as it often shows a series of (initial) characters used in various words, and the frequency of the words doesn’t matter at this point.

For review of old vocabulary purposes, it’s excellent. Thanks!

Edit: I’ve tried adding the third list but something is wrong.

When use your direct link and click “study now” I get an error message of not being able to retrieve data.

I’m very curious, if any one knows, what is the individual character count for these new HSK lists?

The first has over 700 words, and the second over 1000, but how many characters does that involve?

Sheer curiosity here.

How appropriate the new levels are, how far along one’s personal progress gets you now, how well were they designed.

No interest in the actual exams. It’s just another measure.

The official published Hanban table says 300 chars per level for HSK 1 to 6, but the listed word-count in the table doesn’t match what you are stating for the non-Official Skritter lists above.

The source doc breaks them down into BOTH separate character and word lists (and actually there is a third category of “written” characters leveled as High/Medium/Low instead of 1-9) and lists them all (1 to 300 for each level…except 7-9 which is one group of 1200 characters). Perhaps the lists posted earlier decompose and include all characters and words in the same list.

1 Like

Yes, my apologies. I was looking at the number of words when both traditional and simplified versions are included. The lists make clear what the word count is (500 for level 1 and 772 for level 2.)

Thanks for the character count!

1 Like

Is there any way to update this list? It’s based on HSK 1.0. I love me some Heisig, but this is way out of date.

Update; So, I found this updated(HSK2.0) list for Pleco, and am currently trying to figure out how to import it into Skritter.

Update: I’m copy/pasting the vocab through the legacy edition of Skritter. Will make public when it’s finished.

Book 1

Book 2

1 Like