3.7.X Beta Release Megathread

One of the things that we still need to do to make this a reality is to allow for bulk download of all audio (included single-syllable readings needed for this sound super smooth), which is a part of the UX/UI polish pass coming in the future.

1 Like

Thank you so much! In the last few days I noticed it was words that did not have audio before. Totally makes sense and I appreciate the change. Thank you!!

3 Likes

Crash again today during learn mode, hasn’t happened since the first two times a while ago so was unprepared and no screen recording.

The behaviour was also a little different. It crashed in the middle of learning a phrase, went blank for a while, but then returned to that same phrase, although I had to start learning the phrase from the beginning. I was able to just continue the learning mode after the pause for the crash. So not as disruptive as the first two times.

If it helps, the phrase was 煥然一新 / 焕然一新 and it was in the list Du 2021 11 November, Section 24.

This sounds like the app timing out rather than crashing in this instance. Any chance you were returning back to the app from somewhere else, and if so, any idea how long you had it in the background?

Glad you didn’t have to redo too much but would love to try and figure this out!

No, I don’t think so, as far as leaving the app goes.

I had just finished about a forty minute review session, and when done went into learn mode to add the words for the next day.

If it happens again I’ll look for context but it hasn’t happened for almost a week now.1

Thanks for the extra details!

Hi, did something change very recently with the graphics/optics for when you “clear”/erase a half written character? I’ve been using the app daily and today all of a sudden, whenever I’m clearing something that was written (e.g. when I make a mistake and want to rewrite) the visual kind of looks like an exploding cloud. I haven’t changed any settings so this was a surprise. Anyway, it’s very distracting even though the effect is pretty quick, so I was wondering if there’s a way to turn off the effect so that whatever is written just disappears instead of visually poofing into dust?

Edit: If it helps, my app version shows as 3.7.2

2 Likes

I totally agree with rmc, that these kinds of updates are very distracting, it has nothing to do with studying characters seriously. It’s the second time we get such an update, I’m waiting for a real improvement for years that gives me a study mode that really helps, maybe some kind of improvement over the study mode we had in the old app. Lately the app keeps getting unstable and then having updates like this…today I decided to cancel my subscription.

Yes, we recently added a visual cue for erasing to make it more obvious. For example, if a user has sound effects turned off, it’s very subtle when using the swipe up to erase shortcut whether they successfully erased the current prompt through the shortcut or advanced to the next writing prompt (say it was a lazy swipe and unintentionally got recognized as a tap to advance instead). We’ve received some feedback and are going to tone down the effect in the next patch release.

Recently (within the last few days - version 3.7.2 (300572)), the erase button has stopped working if you have the setting “Streak effects” disabled. You can erase by swiping up on the screen but then the next stroke that you attempt does nothing and the app only resumes normal behavior on the second stroke following the erase. I’ve had to enable streak effects just to be able to erase.

1 Like

On another note, I’m not even sure why I have version 3.7.2. According to the top of this thread the current beta is 3.7.1 and I’m not even signed up (knowingly) to beta - I did a fresh install from the play store hoping to fix the erase bug. When I check the app page in the play store and scroll down, the “Join” button is visible, suggesting I haven’t joined. Are beta versions being pushed into production by mistake?

We have a fix for this in the next release. Turning off streak effects will also disable the erase animation.

3.7.2 is our latest production release, but it is still rolling out. You can verify whether you are a part of our beta testers here.

I loved the cloud poof. It makes the app more polished. After seeing it for the first time I did a few more deletes just to see it again.

5 Likes

@rmc @Roberto @davidfarlow the next beta build (waiting on Apple for approval) fixes the erasing when streak effects are disabled, makes the erase animation more subtle, and disables the effect if streak effects are disabled. Otherwise if everything goes smoothly over the next few days we’ll push it out as the next production release.

1 Like

3.7.2 (300572) Production & Beta Notes

What’s in the app:

• Kana stoke improvements for ヒ,カ
  • Improved handakuten/maru trace animation
  • Added erase animation effect
  • General bug fixes & improvements

Sorry for the delay on these notes!

We’ve got erase gestured mellowed in 3.7.3 (300573) and patched up some of the regressions. We’ll release that to beta and then Production a few days after.

Happy studying!

1 Like

3.7.3 (300573) Beta Release

• Reduced intensity of the erase animation effect
  • Fixed an erase related bug users with streak effects turned off

Let us know what you think. We’re looking to release this to production sometime next week depending on how things go.

Happy studying!

Agree with @ddapore99, I liked the special effects

Perhaps it’s only if you’ve been studying for quite a while, but anything to reduce the drudgery that is daily language maintenance is welcome.

I’ve been hoping a long time for (optional) tweaks to Skritter that would incorporate rewards and treats.

Not just for getting a streak for days of study, or for getting through a list, but more sophisticated, perhaps algorithm-sourced or stats-based rewards like getting something right that you’ve gotten wrong repeatedly, and any way to introduce (optional) game-like features to juice up the monotony that is still unfortunately part of daily language learning. Something like Easter eggs for example.

I’m not sure how to do this, but I bet if we put our heads together we could all come up with ideas to make what is still essentially card-flipping a little more rewarding with some small fun tweaks.

The explosion that used to result when you get frustrated and madly scribble in a circle instead of trying to write the character you’ve forgotten still makes me laugh - but it seems to have been diluted and lost its sound effect? Disappointing. If I’m going to take the time to scribble hysterically, I want a satisfying consequence.

Seriously guys, we need to lighten up. Language learning takes severely earnest commitment as it is. A few little things that make us smile in the process would lighten the load a little.

2 Likes

I can’t find where we all discussed getting recordings updates done faster and human/vs computer voices…

…but I wanted to appreciate all the latest recordings, so posting here.

I study nouns together with their measure words when appropriate and so enter them into the database that way (as I believe it is a more natural way to associate the two.)

Even those have been updated with audio. It is very satisfying to hear recordings of these and all of my other recent database additions!

Thanks.

2 Likes

I also miss the voices/announcements that would pop up every several minutes and say some thing about the time duration from the legacy version of the app.

Random question and please forgive me if this has already been discussed but any chance of getting the option to have the app in landscape mode?

Thanks

2 Likes